The Criminal Justice Coordinating Council administers the Georgia Crime Victims Compensation Program, which helps victims and their families through the emotional and physical aftermath of a crime by easing the monetary impact placed upon them by providing financial benefits for expenses such as medical bills, loss of earnings, funeral expenses, mental health counseling, and crime scene clean-up.
- You are physically injured as a result of a violent crime
- You personally witnessed or were threatened with a violent crime
- You were hurt helping a victim of a violent crime
- You are the parent or guardian of a person killed or injured as a result of a crime
- You are a dependent of a homicide victim who relied on the victim for support
- You did not provoke or consent to the events that led up to the crime
The victim/witness must have reported the crime to the proper authorities within 72 hours of the crime, unless good cause is shown
The victim/witness must file an application within 1 year of the crime unless good cause shown (Please Note: A claim submitted 3 years after the victimization cannot be considered)
CATEGORICAL CAPS (FOR COVERED EXPENSES)
- Medical/Dental Expenses - up to $15,000
- Counseling Expenses - up to $3,000
- Funeral Expenses - up to $3,000
- Economic Support - up to $10,000
- Crime Scene Clean-Up - up to $1,500
CVCP is not an entitlement program, only those who meet all of the eligibility requirements will be approved. The above shows the maximum amounts that an eligible claimant may qualify for in each benefit category, the maximum program amount is $25,000 per victim.
Georgia Crime Victims Compensation Program Application
Click the above link to download application.
DISCLAIMER: The information listed above only outlines some of the eligibility requirements for the program. There may be other factors that are not mentioned in this document that factor into our eligibility determination. If you have any questions, please call the Criminal Justice Coordinating Council at (404) 657-2222 or (800) 547-0060.